Cheesy, Spinach, Spaghetti Squash!
by Jamie Hinckley on Feb 14, 2013 0
Spaghetti squash is so yummy and can be cooked so many different ways! We have been cutting down on carbs lately and trying to eat more veggies! Spaghetti squash is a great carb substitute! We regularly use it in place of pasta in our spaghetti. So yum!
This recipe has been floating around pinterest lately so I decided to give it a try. I did change it up a bit to take the carbs out. The original recipe is made with flour and milk. I did like the dish, however, if I made this again I wouldn’t bake it. I would just cover it in parmesan cheese and eat it!
I try to use the No Sodium salt and smart balance butter when I am cooking. It is much healthier. I also opted for the 99% fat free chicken broth. It all gets mixed in together and tasted great. My uncle would laugh at this, but he is the one who introduced me to the No Sodium salt. He calls it the “girl salt.” We use to eat dinner with him all the time when we lived out west and he would always say, “Please pass the girl salt.” It always made me laugh!
- 1 cooked spaghetti squash
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ thinly chopped onion
- 1 cup fat free chicken broth
- 8 oz 2% reduced fat mild cheddar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups baby spinach (I used half of regular size bag)
- ¼ cup grated parmesan (to be sprinkled on top)
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- To cook the spaghetti squash, cut it in half lengthwise. Scoop out all the seeds and lay on a baking sheet facing up. Put a tsp. of butter in each half and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 45 minutes at 375 degrees. Take squash out of the oven and scrape insides into a bowl.
- Heat oil in a large skillet and saute onions for 2 minutes. Add chicken broth and let simmer on medium high for several minutes. Add the cheddar cheese and keep stirring until cheese is completely melted into the broth. Add spaghetti squash and baby spinach. Stir until combined and flavor with salt and pepper. Put it all into a baking dish and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes.