This is the perfect dish for your next gathering or pot luck. It makes a lot, is served cold, and is delicious! The bacon is awesome in it and even my brother-in-law went back for thirds.
All three of my boys are playing sports this season and we have 4 games a week, plus practices. To say it is a bit nuts is an understatement but others who have gone before me have told me this is just the beginning and to get use to it! Ha! Anyway, on the weeknight games and practices I am always looking for quick and easy meals to feed the family so we can run quickly to our events without leaving a ton of clean up.
This meal does that. I made it earlier in the day and let it chill for a couple hours so the dressing could be absorbed and soften the broccoli. All I had to do was pull it out, serve it on some paper plates with a side of fruit, and we were out the door.
I didn’t add the pecans in mine, simply because I didn’t have them on hand. I wish I had though! I bet they would be yummy! I also stayed away from the salt. Its a new kick I am on. I try not to cook with salt at all, but after a dish is done I might add a little to taste at the table if I feel it needs it. Most of the time though, I don’t need it or miss it at all.
- 1 cup chopped pecan
- ½ (16oz) box of bow tie pasta
- 1 lb fresh broccoli
- 1 cup mayo
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ cup diced red onion
- ⅓ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups seedless red grapes, halved
- 8 slices of cooked bacon, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake pecans in a single layer in a shallow pan 5 to 7 minutes or until lightly toasted and fragrant, stirring halfway through.
- Prepare pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, cut broccoli florets from stems, and separate florets into small pieces using tip of a paring knife. Peel away tough outer layer of stems, and finely chop stems.
- Whisk together mayonnaise and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl; add broccoli, hot cooked pasta, and grapes, and stir to coat. Cover and chill 3 hours. Stir bacon and pecans into salad just before serving.
About Jamie Hinckley
I am a mom of three crazy boys! We love life, play hard, and ALWAYS get messy! Life is busy and full of fun, jumping, crashing, skinned knees, rough housing, torn jeans, scratches, but most of all LOVE. Yes, life is crazy. Actually its completely nuts, but I wouldn't change a thing! We love life and can't wait for our next adventure... and one day, possibly a little girl! Haha!