Refinished Antiqued Night Stand
by Jamie Hinckley on Mar 18, 2014 0
This was a really fun project! It was one of my first pieces to refinish when we moved to Florida. I recommend starting with something small to work on for your first project.
This is my Mother-In-Laws 30plus year old night stand. They gave it to us several years ago with a matching armoire. It might look outdated, but it is very good quality and still in great conditions. I love how it turned out!
1. First I sanded the top of the night stand to remove all the finish. I also sanded down the tops of the drawers and took off their handles. I painted the bottom white and technically didn’t need to sand the drawer tops as much as I did, but I wanted it to be nice and smooth. You really only need to sand places that have scratches or places that you are going to use a wood stain on. I also spray painted the handles with a silver metallic spray paint.
2. After this, I cleaned off all the dust and put on two coats of primer (I recommend Zinsser oil based primer) to the bottom and started my first coat of stain on the top. Make sure you wait until everything is completely dry before giving 2nd coats. I actually did 3 coats of wood stain on the top to get it as dark as I wanted it to be. I used the stain color called Kona.
3. Next, I put two coats of regular white latex paint. I also mixed my paint with a little floetrol. This helps slow down the drying process to decrease the visibility of brush strokes.
4. Next was the fun part! I used Valspar pre mixed antiquing glaze from Lowes. It is very easy to use. Paint it on with a foam brush, then use a lint free rag to wipe it off. I actually used the antiquating glaze on the handles as well. You can put on as much or as little as you want to get the desired effect you are going for.
5. Finally, I did three coats of a water based poly (I recommend Minwax polycrylic). I also waited a good 24hrs before doing the first poly coat. It is not recommend to to do more than 2 coats of poly in a 24hr period.
I also waited 48hrs before putting my nightstand to normal use.
About Jamie Hinckley
I am a mom of three crazy boys! We love life, play hard, and ALWAYS get messy! Life is busy and full of fun, jumping, crashing, skinned knees, rough housing, torn jeans, scratches, but most of all LOVE. Yes, life is crazy. Actually its completely nuts, but I wouldn't change a thing! We love life and can't wait for our next adventure... and one day, possibly a little girl! Haha!