Learning the Letter “Z”
by Tina Irizarry on May 27, 2020 0
Congratulations! You’ve made it through the alphabet, and now it’s time to learn the letter “Z”. There are so many cool words connected to this letter such as zip, zero, and zig-zag. Today, we’re going to focus on the word “zoom”! Relax parents, this is not about the Zoom calls you have to join on a daily basis. We’re talking about “zoom” for cars.
Remember, growing up when you would race cars, and say “zoom zoom”. We were associating a sound with an object and word. For example, “mooo” and “cow” or “quack” and “duck”. Sounds can often help us identify things without even seeing them. In this case, going “zoom” with cars is a fun and creative way for children of all ages to express themselves. These types of activities encourage children to tap into their imagination while helping them build cognitive and social skills.
So, without further adieu! We’re learning how to create a painting by using cars and going “zoom”. This is a fairly simple craft and requires mild cleanup.
What you’ll need:
- A large sheet of plain paper
- A plastic sheet or oilcloth (or a lot of newspaper, depending on how much paint your kids decide to use!)
- A black felt tip pen
- Some paper plates
- Some thicker paint (i.e. acrylic paint)
- Some toy cars that are not precious (i.e. it doesn’t matter if they change colour permanently)!
How to set up this activity:
- First, make sure all your surfaces and kids’ clothes are covered (i.e. overalls or aprons)
- Layout a large sheet of plain paper and use your black felt tip pen to draw large outlines of the letter Z and add dashed lines for ‘road’ markings
- Squirt a good dollop of paint into each of your trays or paper plates.
- Add a toy car to each paint tray or plate
- Let your kids roll the car back and forth in the paint to coat the wheels
- Once the wheels are loaded with paint, your kids can drive their cars along the Z ‘road’, following its shape.
You can also find more details on how to make a “zoom” painting here.
By the end of the activity, you’ll have an awesome, colorful painting of the letter “Z”. After this activity, have some more creative fun with this coloring illustration. You can download and print, and let your preschoolers’ imagination run wild!