My son’s first grade teacher asked me to be in charge of their class pumpkin this year. The class voted on one of their favorite book characters to create for the school pumpkin contest. Gerald the elephant won the contest so I started up on google to see the best way to create an elephant pumpkin.
I got the idea from Michaels.com and loved it for a class project because it had so many different pieces to it that it was easy to get all 25 kids to help with at least one part.
1 large tall shaped pumpkin (for the body)
1 small round shaped pumpkin (for the head)
4 Styrofoam cones about 9 inches long (for the arms and legs)
12 half wooden robin eggs (fingernails)
2 wooden circles (eyes)
Black yarn (eye brows)
Black pipe cleaner (glasses)
Sharpie (to draw the mouth and pupils on the eyes)
Strong Tooth picks (to secure pumpkin heads together and limbs to the pumpkin)
4 artificial pumpkins (to glue together to make the trunk)
Cardboard (to cut ears out)
White paint (for the fingernails and eyes)
Grey paint (for the pumpkins, legs, trunk, and ears)
- Paint the pumpkins, cylinders, artificial pumpkins, and ears grey
- Paint the wooden half robin eggs and the wooden circles white
- After the pumpkins are completely dry, place four or five toothpicks in the bottom of the smaller pumpkin about halfway in. Carefully put the small pumpkin on top of the large pumpkin pressing the toothpicks into the larger pumpkin
- Glue the artificial pumpkins together in the shape of a trunk, then use a tooth pick to secure trunk to the pumpkin face
- Glue three fingernails to the large end of each cone and secure cones to the large pumpkin with toothpicks
- Use a sharpie to draw a mouth on the pumpkin and and pupils on eyes
- Use a hot glue gun or super glue to glue the eyes, eyebrows, ears, and glasses to the pumpkin
About Jamie Hinckley
I am a mom of three crazy boys! We love life, play hard, and ALWAYS get messy! Life is busy and full of fun, jumping, crashing, skinned knees, rough housing, torn jeans, scratches, but most of all LOVE. Yes, life is crazy. Actually its completely nuts, but I wouldn't change a thing! We love life and can't wait for our next adventure... and one day, possibly a little girl! Haha!