I always noticed the whole chickens in the grocery store and was almost afraid of them. I had no clue what to do with them. It was priced so much cheaper than chicken breasts (which were always my go to), that I thought I would give it a try. I looked up a recipe from food dot com and I found this one. It was even better that it was a crock pot recipe.
Here is what you need:
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large roasting chicken (with pop-up timer if possible)
- 1 cup chopped onion (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine the spices.
- Remove any giblets from chicken and clean chicken.
- Rub spice mixture onto the chicken.
- Place in resealable plastic bag and refrigerate overnight. (I skipped this because I didn’t think about it until the day of).
- When ready to cook, put chopped onion in bottom of crock pot.
- Add chicken. No liquid is needed, the chicken will make it’s own juices.
- Cook on low 4-8 hours.
Wahlaaaaaaaa…. Now you have yourself a pretty chicken! We ate this for a few meals. So delish!
About Dana Patterson
I'm an energetic SAHM of two fun little girls! It's never a dull moment with kids 21 months apart. I love life and enjoy cooking, working out and just hanging with my family.