I have to say that I am huge on making and decorating my kids birthday cakes. I have three boys and on each of their birthdays we get up and make and decorate a cake together. I am not an expert (my cakes obviously show that) and I have never taken any cake decorating classes (although I’d love to find time to). For that reason, and because I always have an extra set of little hands helping me, I need to keep my designs simple.This year my little monkey had a Super Hero party. He wanted his cake to be superman. I looked up the super man logo and new exactly what to do. A two layer cake with the top layer cut in the shape of the super man shield logo.
- Step 1: Bake your favorite cake in two 9-in round pans. I am a simple when it comes to this… I use a $2 cake mix. We never choose anything but chocolate at my house!
- Step 2: Carefully dump the pans upside down to release the cake from the pans. Put the cakes face up on two different plates and put them in the freezer for a couple hours. This makes the cake easier and smoother to cut and shape later.
- Step 3: Take the cakes out. Use a long piece of dental floss to cut straight across the cakes to make them level. If you do not feel confident in doing this, just flip your cake upside down on your cake tray so that the bottom of the cake (the nice and flat side) is facing up.
- Step 4: Carve one cake into the shape of the super man shield. The cake should cut clean and easy if it has been in the freezer long enough. Using a frosting knife, frost a thin layer of frosting over the entire cake. It doesn’t matter what color or if bits if cake show in the frosting. This is only the first layer. Place the cake back in the freezer (this seals the frosting and allows you to come back and put on another thicker layer of frosting without getting the itty bitty cake pieces in the frosting. HINT: To save your serving tray from messy frosting while you are decorating, put pieces of parchment paper under the edges. You can easily pull them off when the decorating is done.
- Step 5: Re- frost your cake in the main color you will use and decorate the top with other colors to make the superman logo. I used a little bit of frosting in a decorating bag with different decorating tips. You can also use a zip lock bag also; it works just the same.
About Jamie Hinckley
I am a mom of three crazy boys! We love life, play hard, and ALWAYS get messy! Life is busy and full of fun, jumping, crashing, skinned knees, rough housing, torn jeans, scratches, but most of all LOVE. Yes, life is crazy. Actually its completely nuts, but I wouldn't change a thing! We love life and can't wait for our next adventure... and one day, possibly a little girl! Haha!