Enchanted Mommy

Painting Shutters Can Totally Change the Look of Your House

We bought a short sale.  Enough said right?!  I mean some people luck out and find a short sale that is in great condition.  We weren’t all that lucky.  We had an HOA violation sheet with about 25 no no’s on it.  One of the items was our shutters.  We have blue siding and we had to work with that (who wants to spend all the extra dough on siding).  The shutters before were a heinous burgundy color.

2012 House Listing -- I didn't take this.

I decided to change the color to black.  Here’s the after.

The after.... shutters look much better

Much better, huh?1?!  I love simplicity, that’s why I chose black.  I had no idea where to start, so I went to Home Depot and the guy there was really helpful with what kind of paint to use.

behr exterior paint

Behr Paint that we used!

It was an exterior semi-gloss enamel, paint and primer in one. {So what if husband threw this paint can away, and I went dumpster diving to get it}.  It cost about $40.  Not bad for an exterior transformation.  So, we got 18 shutters and a front door painted for $40.

All you do is take the shutters down (some people say to leave them up and spray paint them while they are up, I beg to differ).  Here’s husband taking them down, they aren’t that hard to remove.

handy husband.

Husband taking down the shutters. Who said IT people can't be handy?!

Paint away!!!!!

I actually painted over the pegs that hold the shutters in, but you can buy them for pretty cheap too.  Then you just paint, paint and paint.  We wiped ours down really well before painting over an dust layer.  I’m SO happy we did this.  It did take a good while, but it was totally worth it!!!  Oh yeah, I also got a few cans of spray paint  and painted the backs since we have the old school shutters.  I love it now!

2 Comments

  1. Kent F

    Jun 08, 2012 at 8:20 pm

    We painted our shutters black as well over Memorial Day weekend. We purchased a spray gun and painted most of them in the garage, well worth the price of the gun as the painting part only took about 2 hours total – including touch up.

    Wondering if your husband had the same problem as me however. Seems I should have numbered the shutters as I took them down! Not sure if this is normal, but whoever put mine up (builder probably) pre-drilled each and I learned the hard way the shutters did not work screw back in well until they re-found their original window.

    Reply

  2. Dana Patterson

    Jun 12, 2012 at 2:04 am

    Yeah, I actually thought about getting a spray gun, however it just wasn’t cost effective enough for us.

    We did number the shutters! I should have mentioned that in the post! Thanks for the comment!

    Reply

Leave a Comment