Oatmeal Cream Pies – Homemade
by Dana Patterson on Nov 09, 2013 0
I grew up with Little Debbie cakes and pies. My mom would let me get one box per week for my lunch box. Most of the time I chose oatmeal cream pies (nutty buddy’s and swiss cake rolls are pretty dang good too!). I recently came across this recipe on Pinterest, so I thought I would try them and I loved them. The icing, especially, was amazing.
I also added a little orange sprinkles for our Halloween dessert!
All you need for the cookie part is:
- 1 1/4 c. butter, softened
- 1 c. brown sugar
- 1/2 c. white sugar
- 1 1/2 c. flour (I was advised to use closer to 2 cups, so I did)
- 3 c. oats
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
For the cookies:
Cream butter and sugars in mixer. Meanwhile mix dry ingredients together. Add eggs and vanilla to butter mixture. Cream. Add dry mixture to butter mixture. Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto a parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake at 375 for 10 minutes. Let cool on pan before removing (so they don’t crack).
For the icing, you need:
- 1/2 c. butter
- 2 c. powdered sugar
- 1-2 Tbsp. heavy cream (I didn’t have cream so I used milk)
- 4-5 Tbsp. shortening** (This wasn’t part of the original recipe but it needed something to taste lighter and fluffier. This was the perfect trick. Made it taste more like cream filling and less like a buttercream frosting.) Thanks for the advice, Shan-made!
- I also added 1 tsp. of vanilla
For the icing:
Cream all ingredients together until frosting is a light and whipped consistency.
Frost insides of cookies once completely cool!
This was a great ending to our perfect Halloween night!