I recently made this monkey cake for a special 2 year old in my life. She loves monkey’s and is constantly singing “No More Monkey’s Jumping On the Bed.” It was pretty time consuming making all the stars for the fur, but it turned out awesome!
I researched lots of different monkey cakes, but in the end I used this one from My Daily SAHM Life as my model. I know I could have just ordered the monkey cake pan, but who wants to pay for a pan you will probably never use again???
I used 2 cake mix boxes and made 4 round cakes. I used Wilton’s buttercream icing and Wilton’s food colorings to get the desired colors.
1. Make 4 rounds cakes. Take them out of their cake pans, wrap them in nonstick tinfoil or parchment paper and stick them in the freezer.
2. Using construction paper, cut out your pattern. I numbered each piece so I knew which cake I would cut it from to make sure all the pieces fit.
3. Once your cake is good and frozen, use your paper pattern to cut the cakes into their shapes. Freeze the parts until you are ready to start frosting.
4. Do a thin crumb coat frist. Once the crumb coat is dry you can start frosting! I used a basic star tip.
5. The tail is made from Tootsie Rolls. Just heat them in the microwave for a few seconds then mold them how you want.
About Jamie Hinckley
I am a mom of three crazy boys! We love life, play hard, and ALWAYS get messy! Life is busy and full of fun, jumping, crashing, skinned knees, rough housing, torn jeans, scratches, but most of all LOVE. Yes, life is crazy. Actually its completely nuts, but I wouldn't change a thing! We love life and can't wait for our next adventure... and one day, possibly a little girl! Haha!