So have I mentioned that I pretty much love anything from the Lion House Bakery? This bakery is most famous for its breads, pies, and desserts. Anything you get from here is going to be good! I recently posted a crepe recipe from the Lion has as well that my family has been using for years and years. Anyway, I had a friend in my neighborhood get really sick this past week. I wanted to make something to cheer her up and feed their family. So I made this Challah bread from the Lion House Bakery to go with Alice Springs Chicken.
It turned out really yummy! I made a loaf for my family and a loaf for my friend. It is delicious pull apart bread that is soft and fluffy on the inside!
Challah Bread (makes 2 loafs)
From the Lion House Bakery Cook Book
1 Tb dry yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water (not too hot)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp salt
2 eggs beaten well
4 1/2 to 5 cups of flour
1 egg yolk beaten well
1/4 tsp water
poppy seeds (I added this to mine as well)
1. Place the warm water in your bowl and sprinkle the yeast on top of the water and let sit for a few minutes until is is slightly dissolved and frothy on the sides of the bowl.
2. Add sugar, oil, salt, beaten eggs, and 2 1/2 cups of flour. Beat well. Add enough remaining flour to make soft dough and knead until smooth.
3. Grease your dough and bowl with a cap full of vegetable oil.
4. Cover and let rise until double (about 30 -40 minutes). P
5. Punch down and divide in half. Then take each half and make three long ropes. Braid the three ropes together and then repeat with the other three ropes. Place on a greased cookie sheet.
6. Mix egg yolk with 1/4 tsp of water and brush over the braids. Sprinkle with seeds.
7. Cover and let rise 30 minutes.
8. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes.
***I baked mine for 30 minutes and it was a little browner than I would like. I had to run out for a minute and asked the hubby to keep an eye on it. He didn’t do a great job. Haha… apparently men (at least this one) doesn’t have the eye for checking on bread! I would recommend checking it at 20 and 25 minutes. So yummy and fancy looking but such an easy recipe!
About Jamie Hinckley
I am a mom of three crazy boys! We love life, play hard, and ALWAYS get messy! Life is busy and full of fun, jumping, crashing, skinned knees, rough housing, torn jeans, scratches, but most of all LOVE. Yes, life is crazy. Actually its completely nuts, but I wouldn't change a thing! We love life and can't wait for our next adventure... and one day, possibly a little girl! Haha!